QUICK VEGAN BREAD RECIPES – ratios have been altered to reflect 2d-sized appetites
No-knead, No-rise, vegan-optional Rosemary Thyme Quick Bread
4 Cups of Bread Flour
4 Teaspoons Baking Powder
1 Teaspoon of Salt
1 Teaspoon Rosemary (dried)
1 Teaspoon Thyme (dried)
2 Tablespoon Sugar
8 Tablespoons of Unsalted Butter Melted (I used earth balance)
2 Cup Milk (I used soy milk)
4 Teaspoon Melted Butter or Earth Balance (for buttering TOP of dough)
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Sift and mix dry ingredients together, then add wet ingredients. Put dough into a baking dish and add butter on top. Bake for 25 minutes or until brown on top.
Quick bread, buns, or pizza base
5 C warm water
12 Tbsp sugar
6 Tbsp yeast
4 Tbsp oil
12 C flour (can use white or wholemeal)
4 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
Stir water, yeast, sugar and oil together. Leave for 5 minutes until it becomes frothy on top. Add flour, salt and baking powder. Mix well. Knead. Roll out if making a pizza base or shape for use as buns / bread / loaf. Paint with oil or milk (if you can be bothered). Bake at 200 degrees C for 10-15 minutes.
Makes 32 buns
• 9 teaspoons active dry yeast (two packets)
• 2 tablespoon sugar
• 3 cups water
• 7 cups bread flour
• 2.5 teaspoons salt
• 2.5 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
• 2 teaspoon oil
You can also add: nuts, cinnamon, raisins, dates, garlic, (sun-dried) tomatoes, onions
1. In the bowl of a heavy-duty stand mixer put the yeast, sugar, and water and let it sit.
2. Heat the oven to 450°F Put a metal soup pot in to warm as the oven heats. Get out your flour, salt, vinegar, spray oil, and anything else you need.
3. Now that the yeast has had a few minutes to bubble up, add 3 cups of the flour as well as the salt and vinegar and beat for several minutes with the paddle. Add the last 1/2 cup of flour and switch to the dough hook and beat for seven minutes. Alternately, knead vigorously for five minutes, or until the dough becomes extremely elastic. This will still be a wet dough, but not goopy. The dough will clear the sides of the bowl but still stick to the bottom.
4. Oil a microwave-safe bowl and transfer the bread dough to it, rolling it in the oil. Cover the bowl with a very wet towel. Cover the whole thing with a dry towel and put in the microwave for 25 seconds.
5. Let rest in the microwave for about five minutes.
6. Microwave for another 25 seconds, then remove.
7. Let rest and rise for another 15 minutes.
8. Shape into a ball and plop into the preheated pan. Quickly slash the top with a knife. Cover and bake for about 30 minutes, then remove the cover and bake for another 5-10 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the internal temperature hits 210.
9. Remove from pan, let cool.
Makes 2 9″x5″ loaf
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
• 5 cups white all purpose flour
• 1 cup whole wheat bread flour
• 1 cup white sugar
• 3 T. baking powder
• 2 t. salt
• 2 12 oz. bottle (or 3 cup s) dark beer of choice
• 6 T. canola oil
• 2 T. honey
1. Preheat the oven to 375 F. Lightly oil a 9” x 5” loaf pan and set aside.
2. In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine the flours, sugar, baking powder and salt. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients.
3. In a small bowl, combine the beer, oil and honey until just combined. In three additions, stir the liquid ingredients into well of the dry ingredients, mixing until forming a thick dough. Spread the dough into the prepared pan and bake until the loaf is golden brown and springs back slightly when pressed, about 45-55 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
BREAD MACHINE RECIPES – ratios for size of bread machine
Simple Bread Machine Wheat Bread
1 1/2 cups + 2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 teaspoons salt
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
4 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons active dry yeast
1. Place ingredients in bread pan in order listed or according to manufacturer’s directions.
2. When adding the yeast last, make a small well with your finger to place the yeast. This will insure the proper timing of the yeast reaction.
3. Use whole wheat or timed cycle, or according to manufacturer’s directions.
Makes: 1 Large Loaf, Preparation time: 10 , Cooking time: 2:50